Thursday, January 8, 2009

Travel Lessons



Have you ever longed for travel? I had a longing desire to go to Ireland. The Thomas Kinkaid image surfaced in my mind often of a green land on the coast with a lighthouse in the background. It gave me a sense of peace and rest when life seemed overwhelming. I felt drawn to it as though this land could heal my distraught spirit. I wanted to feel the gentle breezes off the coast dance through my hair and make me feel young again. I needed time to not feel worried, overwhelmed, or need to take care of another or solve a problem. I needed to speak intimately to the “all knowing” God and ask for guidance without interruption of phone calls and emails. Over a year later, I made plans to travel to Ireland.

John 14:8 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.


I could identify with the suffering interwoven in its culture; the ability to face adversity along with the acceptance of ‘come what may” attitude without totally giving up. There is a sadness that a widow can relate to… when I viewed a metallic sculpture of an anatomically correct broken heart that was a memorial for those lost in the potato famine. Our tour guide explained that the deaths were needless as there was plenty of food available, but the people who needed it did not have access to it. My heart grieved for those lost and the ones left behind. What a waste of humanity!

I have a better understanding of what draws many Irish to the pubs for a sense of community and for some the “liquid sunshine.” As a non-drinker who did not partake of the local guinness or other alcoholic beverages, I did enjoy the food and community. Whether watching futball, boxing, or simply talking with the patrons … it was comforting to simply belong.

I especially enjoyed the folk music… each song told a story, some were sad while others were amusing. One song told of a futball game where the opposing players were Catholic and Protestant and the rivalry was thick. A set of bleachers collapsed and killed 65 people (both Catholic and protestant alike). This tragedy brought the two opposing sides together in their grief.

The weather was tolerable temperature wise, but it had rained everyday since June 1st and I was visiting in mid September. Farmers were predicting that the excessive rain would ruin the crops. The Irish still seemed to take this in stride, but there was rejoicing when the sun came out the last day of my trip.

I had the opportunity to use the bus system several times when I was on my own. I had difficulty figuring out the system, but fortunately there were others who provided needed guidance. Many passengers were amazed at the “bravery or lunacy of a single woman who would travel alone and without a watch.” Many riders had cell phones and would communicate with others about their estimated time of arrivals at their final destination.




One day I rode the bus to Limerick and explored St. John’s Castle. This castle overlooked the Shannon River and gave a bird’s eye view of the town built along both sides of the river. The Irish love to paint their homes and doors in bright colors. I loved how the 2 and 3 story buildings were painted multiple colors, particularly, yellow, orange, and red.

I became fascinated with watching a kayaker attempt to paddle up the strong currents of the Shannon River. I captured his multiple attempts with my digital camera and video recorder. The kayaker would hit a section of the break-water and almost surpassed it, but then would fall back again with the current’s triumph. I imagine this would be good exercise and/or training for the kayaker. It is a good metaphor for life as we are called to persevere in spite of obstacles.


James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. (NIV)




I am leaving Ireland with a few less euros and dollars in my bank account, but richer in life. I needed to rest, drink in the beauty of the “40 shades of green” in the Irish landscape,gain new friends, and a perspective on life from a different culture.


Proverbs 13:12 Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life. (NIV)

No comments: